On March 31, 2021, then-Governor Andrew Cuomo signed a bill making recreational marijuana legal in New York. Overnight, many smoke shops sprang up in New York City to meet the instant demand for legal weed. Smoke shops are open for business in NYC. This guide will walk you through the new regulations, explain the advantages of buying weed through a trusted smoke shop, and give you information about Gifted BK, a Brooklyn smoke shop.
Advantages of Purchasing Marijuana at A Smoke Shop NYC
A legal smoke shop in NYC must be licensed by the state. Licensure includes the agreement to sell only products of known composition and the promise to maintain standards of purity and measurement. This means that when you buy 3 ounces of a specific type of weed at your favorite smoke shop, the shop guarantees that you are receiving a full 3 ounces and that the label represents the actual product you bought. This duty makes buying from a licensed shop quite different from relying on friends or colleagues to offer a fair weight at a fair price without anyone having a clue about its true origins.
Another advantage to buying through a smoke shop is the wide selection they have to offer. Instead of having to settle for whatever your buddy has on hand, now you can shop for the type of marijuana you want.
Not only will you likely have a variety of types of weed to choose from, including sativa and indica, in a wide range of flavors and effects, but most shops in NYC also offer pre-rolled joints, edibles, and balms or lotions. Now it’s easy to get the high you want in the form that best suits your lifestyle.
In addition, many smoke shops also offer the paraphernalia you would expect to find in a head shop. This includes smoking accessories like bongs, glass pipes, rolling papers, grinders, vape pens, and hookahs.
Now Let's Talk About the Best Smoke Shop IN NYC, GiftedBK
A visit to GiftedBK, located in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn, is much more than just a shopping trip. Located in the rear of an art gallery of the same name, it offers a full sensory experience. While you wait for your turn to make a purchase, you are invited to wander around the gallery to explore the Hip-Hop themed artwork and clothing, all of which are for sale. The gallery and shop also host events, including discussions with some of their artists, book signings, album release parties, and group Sip and Paint bashes, where customers are free to create their own works of art while enjoying fine wines.
All of that is just a precursor to the main event. When it’s your turn to enter the shopping area, you will find many different types of weed and edibles displayed at the counter. The wide selection GiftedBK offers makes it likely you’ll find a variety you’ve experienced before. You are encouraged to take your time and ask any questions you might have. The friendly and knowledgeable staff will answer your questions and patiently ensure that you leave their shop with exactly what you came in for.
Regardless of whether you are a Native New Yorker or a cannabis tourist, if you are looking for a wide selection of high-quality weed, forget Manhattan and make the trip to GiftedBK in Brooklyn, the home of lively contemporary art and culture.
Rules and Regulations About Legal Marijuana in New York
Although the law legalizing recreational marijuana in New York State is broad and liberal, it is not without rules and regulations. There are limits set on how much marijuana you may carry on your person, who can use it, and in which situations it is still illegal to be under the influence. Here are a few of the most important limitations:
- No one under 21 can legally eat, smoke, or consume in any other way, cannabis or its derivatives. This is not a surprise, as the same rules apply to the consumption of alcohol. Allowing minors to consume cannabis in your presence, or supplying it for them, may result in hefty fines.
- While in New York, you may carry up to 3 ounces of actual cannabis for personal use or up to 24 grams of concentrated cannabis, such as oils. This is a limit that is very well known by the smoke shops in NYC; most reserve the right to limit your purchases, although not all will take action.
- You cannot sell marijuana unless licensed, but there is no regulation against giving it away as long as the person receiving it is over 21. This particular aspect of the law is currently being ignored by both the smoke shops and the police, and smoke shops are thriving. Still, it would probably be unwise to be caught selling weed to strangers in your home, your local bar, or anywhere that is not an established smoke shop.
- People may possess as much as five pounds of marijuana in their homes as long as reasonable steps are taken to secure it. It’s open to interpretation exactly what those security steps are. Suffice it to say, it would be a bad idea to leave that amount of weed lying out in the open for a whole host of reasons.
- The operation of vehicles and other machinery is forbidden while under the influence of cannabis, just as it is while under the influence of narcotics or alcohol. Being caught driving while stoned carries similar penalties as being caught driving under the influence of alcohol.
That’s about it. The other parts of the law deal with the operations of the smoke shops themselves and do not concern the casual user. Take care to follow these simple guidelines, and you are free to enjoy marijuana legally in NYC.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many licensed smoke shops are in NYC?
Technically, there are none as of yet. Bureaucratic delays and red tape have pushed the licensure process back by many months, perhaps as late as 2023. That being said, there are still many places where one can buy weed safely and almost legally.
2. What is the name of the best smoke shop in Brooklyn?
3. Where is GiftedBK located?
153 Grand Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11249
4. What are the hours of operation?
GiftedBK is open from 11 am to 10 pm daily
5. How do I contact them if I have questions?
The GiftedBK website is a great source of information. However, if you have questions that aren’t answered there, feel free to email them at email@example.com or call them at 347-457-5445.
6. What is on their menu?
Like a menu from any restaurant, the exact items and prices may change. Currently, they list 15 different types of flowers, ranging in price from $80 to $100. They have three types of pre-rolled, Platinum OG, OG Kush, Bubba Kush, and Runtz. They range in price from $10 to $20 apiece. They offer three types of edibles, two types THC infused honey that sell for $30, and Apricot Jelliez, which costs $60 for a five-pack. Currently, GifteBK also has two kinds of balms for sale, the Wake N Bake Feel Good Formula and the Wake N Bake Acai Beauty, which sell for $45 each.